Are you protecting your new home? There are many things that can destroy your home or your thoughts of being safe in your own home. Here are 10 things for you to consider when protecting your new purchase:
1. Install smoke/carbon monoxide alarms on every level. Test monthly and replace batteries on Jan. 1 of each year.
2. Buy an ABC multipurpose fire extinguisher for the kitchen, where half of all fires occur. Check pressure annually.
3. Plug major appliances into wall outlets, not extension cords, which can overheat.
4. Create escape plans for all rooms and place escape ladders in upstairs bedrooms.
5. Change locks on exterior doors and confirm that all doors and windows lock securely.
6. Consider adding a home alarm system with motion detectors.
7. Place wireless water alarms under washing machine and sinks. Install flood-safe hoses on washing machines.
8. If you evacuate when a dangerous storm hits, turn off utilities to deter flooding and fires. Also make sure to turn off water valve when traveling to avoid floods.
9. Install downspout extensions to carry heavy rains away from the foundation.
10. Trim trees and shrubs so weakened branches won’t fall on home or be propelled into windows by high winds.
You have invested a large sum of your hard-earned money in purchasing your home. Make sure to inpect inside and outside of your home monthly for signs of any damage. Repair damage when you find it to avoid costly repairs later. For more information on home protection ideas, contact me today. Ready to purchase? I’m here for you.