Vacation time is rapidly approaching. Make sure to protect your home before you leave.
- Unplug all appliances, except for the refrigerator.
- Set air conditioning thermostat up to 90 degrees. Set humidistat, if applicable, according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Arrange for mail pickup by a friend or neighbor, or put it on hold at the post office.
- Put a hold on your newspaper delivery (if applicable).
- Clean your home before you leave. Coming home to a clean home helps with your well-being. It’s hard to come home after vacation, when you have been having so much fun, and have to think about cleaning!
- Arrange for someone to mow your grass if you are going for an extended period. Tall grass is a sure sign that you are out of town.
- Clean out the refrigerator of anything that will expire while you are gone.
- Notify your alarm company (if applicable) that you will be out of town.
- Invest in a light control device or light timer. Plug one lamp into it, insert into the wall, and set the timer to turn the lamp on when it gets dark. You can also use the device on your holiday lights.
- If you have a neighbor that can watch your home, that is great, but still use the light control timing device.
- If a neighbor watches your home or gets your mail, do something nice for him or her or bring them a souvenir from your trip.
Making minor changes can make a huge difference in how you enjoy your vacation! Take the worry out of your trip.